Thursday, March 22, 2007

Into the Dark

I found Rachel Carson’s article “The Sunless Sea” to be incredibly interesting.In the beginning of this article, Carson first explains that about half of our world is covered by miles deep of lightless water that has not been explored fully. She then adds that “this region has withheld its secrets more obstinately than any other” mainly because our technology is not developed enough to withstand the thousands of pounds of pressure in the deeper depths. Then throughout the rest of the article, Carson gives us several interesting examples of newly found discoveries and how they go against what we used to believe about the dark waters. For example, it was once believed that there was no life at the bottom of the ocean until the ships Bulldog and Challenger found life miles deep by using nets and ropes. The examples Carson uses shows us that by studying the ocean more closely we can find the real truth about it. Carson also provides the audience with interesting facts about the ocean throughout her article, like the living cloud in the water, to show that there is a lot in the ocean to still learn about. All these ways Carson uses helps develop a stronger understanding of why we should explore the dark waters of the ocean.
The idea that I found the most interesting was the way Carson shows that the world is still unknown by providing facts about the deep ocean. The pressure and darkness that the creatures survive in, the living cloud of an unknown creature, and the many fish that match the colors of the water they live in are a few examples of these interesting tid-bits. Carson provides interesting facts that have been discovered already and then provides that these facts are only the tip of the iceberg. Half the world contains these deep waters and if we discovered so much already, what else could we uncover with more exploration? The assumption people make in society today is that we have already explored the entire ocean and know all of its secrets, but Carson shows that is not the truth and we need to explore it more.
Another interesting idea Carson has is that some of the facts we though were once true can change by more exploration. By observing more we can get to know the real truth better. The way Carson explains this is by providing examples of what we once thought about the deep ocean and then what facts change by more exploration and observing. Some examples Carson used was the belief that there was no living creatures at the bottom of the ocean and that the ocean was silent. Then over time and development of new technology we discovered that these previous facts were false, there is life at the bottom of the ocean and the ocean is definitely not silent. Furthermore, the idea that Carson gets acrossed is that more exploration can ultimately lead to the real truth, not only in the ocean, but in other aspects society today.
Overall, I found this article very interesting and informative. Carson explains many interesting facts about the vastly unknown ocean and how more exploration can bring about a more clear understanding of the deep ocean or any other region in the world. She also provides that the truth about a region can never be certain until more observations are provided and examined. I found that the dark part of the ocean was a great example that Carson used in expressing the ways that nature can be misunderstood and forgotten about by people.

3 comments:

Kayt said...

When reading this article for myself, I came across much of the same ideas. I like the way that you approached Rachel Carson's article as a bigger, broader idea reather than just explaining the obvious ocean example. This was a brilliant article that, as stated in my blog, sparked in me a lot of passion to better understand my surroundings as opposed to just exisiting within them.

knight said...

Although I too found Carson’s article enlightening, I don’t think it qualifies as a “great idea.” The reason I say this is because while reading her piece, I didn’t really come across any radical ideas—or ones that she could claim as her own. She did a very good job at compiling other people’s information and past examples, but I felt like I was reading a textbook, not something profound that really made me think. When I think of the term “great idea,” I think of something new, something that provokes deep thought, something that must have taken the owner of that “great idea” a while to develop. When I finished with “The Sunless Sea,” I thought, “Oh, that’s cool, interesting, I had no idea the ocean was so alive with different species.” But that is where my thoughts stopped—not necessarily because I’m not interested (or dense…haha) but because it just didn’t strike me as “revolutionary.” I applaud Carson for putting complex matters into layman’s terms, but I don’t think this qualifies as a great idea.

Tori said...

Carson’s sunless sea discussed the many different species people are unaware of deep below the sea. I am not very into science and all these discoveries is space or the sea. I don’t read a lot of newspapers and I don’t really keep up with what is going on. I know I should but I don’t thats why reading these essays brings me new information. One of the questions asked was should we study the depths of the sea and the endlessness of space. I think we should but at the same time make sure we are spending our money on what is needed at the current time. Who really knows if there are any real significant benefits it’s hard to tell until we know what we will find. Overall, I just thought the idea of not really knowing what exists under the sea is very thrill seeking.