Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Blindness symbolism

Blindness, written by Jose Saramago, has made me think about the abundance of symbolism available with the term “blindness.” It seems to me that this “blind” society reflects Saramago’s personal views about society. Blindness is a powerful, yet upsetting, allegory of what might happen if society loses sight of what is truly meaningful. It is made very clear by the end of the novel that the main goal of the characters, especially the doctor’s wife, is to bring out the awareness that there are many forms of blindness and multiple ways of being blind. This idea is further confirmed in the quote at the end of the novel which I brought up in class, “Do you want me to tell you what I think, Say it, I think we didn’t get blind, I think we are blind, Blind who are able to see, Blind that, seeing, can’t see.”
Blindness represents denial; a way of showcasing how people tell themselves “white” lies to get them through the day. Blindness is also helplessness. This is portrayed through the symbolism of the now useless expertise of the ophthalmologist. Everyone is the same; everyone has been reduced down to the point where basic instincts win over civilization. This intrigues me so much because this is the only idea (blindness) that can be so versatile/ambiguous in its symbolism and meaning. What else does blindness represent towards the end of the novel? I would also like to hear some feedback about the obvious, yet vague religious symbolism.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really agree with you on the fact that the blindness term can be totally ambiguous... For me, I tied it back to justice. At least at the beginning of the book, I really thought that the reason for the people going blind was supposed to be god's punishment for being bad people or something like that. Although later it seemed that couldn't at all be the reason why. The doctor and the doctor's wife and most of the other people hadn't done anything nearly bad enough deserve god's wrath or anything like that. I had posted a post asking what everybody thought what the cause of the blindness was, and even after reading the book... I'm still totally confused about what it could be.