Tuesday, April 24, 2007

____ is blind...

When someone in class brought up the phrase justice is blind, it made me start thinking about how many different sayings that we have that have to do with blindness. Blindness is a huge part of our lives, even though it may have nothing to do with actually seeing anything. Sometimes we are "blind" to what others are feeling. The word blind is just used to imply so many other things than actually literally being blind. It has to do with not noticing or being insensitive to others feelings and other types of things.
How many sayings do we have that include blindness. First, there is Justice is blind. I do not totally understand what this phrase is supposed to mean, but I'm gonna try to explain it as much as I understand it. I believe that it somewhat ties back into the revenge that we were talking about. The justice comes back to those no matter what happens. It's basically like karma. What goes around, comes back around.

Another phrase that comes to mind is "love is blind." This one is pretty easy to understand. When one is in love, there are a lot of other things that you just don't notice as much. I'm not going to get all mushy and such and explain how love makes you feel, but it does make it very hard not to be blind, in the way that i described before.

There are other phrases that have to do with blindness, but I can't think of them... what other ones are there?

1 comment:

Kayt said...

I agree that "blindness" is a very ambiguous/meaningful word. I wrote about this exact topic in my last blog which addressed the symbolism behind the word "blindness." Throughout the novel, Saramago uses many obvious cliches. Now that I reflect, I think that he does this to draw attention to how many cliches there are about blindess and how they reduce the actual/true feeling to nothing but a common saying. An example you used was, "Love is blind." Another one I found is, "Turn a blind eye," which originates from when Admiral Horatio Nelson supposedly said this when he willingly disobeyed a signal to withdraw during a naval engagement. He was quoted in saying, "You know, Foley, I have only one eye - and I have a right to be blind sometimes... I really do not see the signal." This quote esecially ties into our discussion in "Blindness" of being willingly blind. If anyone else wants to contribute to this discussion by adding more phrases that would be very interesting.