Friday, February 2, 2007

Contemporary Wisdom

As a few people have already posted on Cicero already, I would find it very redundant to again go over his main points. I would, however, like to go over a few thoughts I had while reading and from our class discussion. Cicero wrote this excerpt, “The Defense of Injustice,” in times so long ago, very creatively and beautifully. I find it phenomenal how prevalent many of his ideas still are in our modern day society. First of all, Cicero speaks on worker's rights. Philus presents, “Consider Lycurgus. He invented a series of admirably wise and sensible laws Yet he felt able to insist, all the same, that the lands of the rich should be cultivated by the poor as if they were slaves.” Kayt already pointed out in her presentation today the relationship of this quote to sweatshop workers, and how sweatshops are still prevalent today in the United States even. Just further on in Cicero’s piece, Philus continues, discussing the Voconian Law, which prevented women from receiving inheritances. Although we might not have laws which so much oppress women, there is still inequality for women in our country. Just take a look at the wage gap between the earnings of men and women. As discussed in class, Cicero also touches on the idea of animal rights. “The argument maintains that what a good and just man does is to give everyone his due. (One problem which arises in this connection is what, if anything, we are to grand dumb animals their due.” Still today, though, even in the United States, people disagree on what rights animals should be given. For example, cock fights are still legal in 2 states.
Cicero’s main argument, defining wisdom compared to justice, is also still something we deal with today.
“That, then, is the teaching of “wisdom,” that we should rule over as many subjects as possible, indulge in pleasures, hold on to power, be rulers and masters. But justice, on the other hand, demands that we should be merciful to all men, act in the interests of the entire human race, give everyone what they are entitled to, and never tamper with religious property of what belongs to the community or to private persons.”

I would encourage you to consider how people interpret this view of wisdom today. I think that in America, “wisdom” goes hand in hand with today’s big name capitalists and even celebrities. Those who follow what “wisdom” tells them are the ones in power, who are very wealthy, and indulge themselves in pleasures. Take for example Donald Trump, the high earning CEOs that we discussed with Reich’s essay, the celebrities, and the politicians. It is clear that injustice and wisdom are very prevalent in America today. Obviously, there are many connections that we can make between Cicero’s ideas and modern society. Taking this into consideration, I feel we, as college students who will be making a real impact on the world soon, should not forget the advice presented to us in the final sentence of Cicero’s essay, “As a consequence, even if he escapes the normal punishment for wrongdoing, he will suffer the penalties of the gravest possible sort.”

2 comments:

Ben said...

I agree with your points on Cicero’s work and I also admire him and the timeless elements of his ideas. What I find interesting is your take on Animal rights. It is true that Cicero may be addressing this issue because animals were such a big part of a functioning society in his day, but what should be done about it today? This issue is also brought forth in Nussbaum’s work when she speaks of the “central human capabilities,” one being, “Other species. Being able to live with concern for and in relation to animals, plants, and the world of nature.” Everyone thinks they have the utmost respect for and love animals. Personally, my dog is one of my best friends, and I’m a total environmentalist who is all for the preservation animals natural habitats and such, but every time I go to my grandparents cabin in Michigan I can’t wait to get out and do some fishing. Is fishing really any better than killing any other animal? What about deer hunting? Cicero and Nussbaum seem to have something to say about animal rights, but what about the condoning of killing that we grow up with in society? Most of us would be appalled to learn that we were eating dog meat, but it is important to remember that someone from India might be just as appalled to learn that he/she was eating cow meat. So next time you go to Wendy’s to get a double cheeseburger, think about the cock fights that are now legal in only two states, and wonder if taking a bite is just as bad.

Erin said...

I think these are valid questions you pose, Ben. While I do care somewhat about the proper treatment of animals, I am not a staunch animal rights activist. I eat meat, and even though I applaud those who care enough to become vegetarians, I know that I do not have such dedication to animals. I also love to go fishing with my Grandpa and most of my relatives love to go deer hunting. I wanted to address Cicero's take on animal rights, though, (and now also Nussbaum's) becuase of the fact that it is still a controversial topic today. In my opinion, there needs to be some sort of standards set to how and why we kill animals. I do not see much of a problem with hunting or fishing, though, becuase in these "sports," the animal lives the life of a true wild animal (up until the point of their death of course). But there is a problem today with the large chicken farms and such that we hear of where there are hundreds or even thousands of chickens all cooped up together, forced to stay in a wire mesh cage all their lives until killed for your chicken sandwhich. That being said, I am a typical American when it comes to this subject, considering I eat my food without a second thought to what conditions that animal was subjected to.