Thursday, February 8, 2007

response to kims poem

This poem is describes what can happen when unjustness is prevalent within an area. This specific area was a town but as we all know it’s prevalent within homes, local governments, towns, states, countries, counties, nations, providences, virtually injustice is everywhere. "First the alien, then the Jew... I did no more than you let me do."

This line specifically spoke to me because it describes the strength needed for the individual who is standing up against injustice. As we all know it is very hard to stand up against something that we know is wrong. It’s much easer said then it is done, especially if we are alone. Hopefully we all try, but I have learned it is one of the hardest things in life.
What if a person does not have the same beliefs that I hold? Should I take that into consideration while injustice is occurring? For example, the prejudice against Middle Eastern women? Their hair must be covered, they are not allowed to work at specific job sites, not allowed to wear specific clothing, and even in the mosque they must pray in a separate section from the men. Their lifestyle is rooted in those beliefs, is it wrong? Is it an injustice? Though I may feel that it is prejudice against women, the women of the culture may strongly disagree. When do we draw the line, of imposing our beliefs to someone else? Do we even draw a line at all?
Another example a little closer to home, it may be cliché but it was a personal experience and it will always remain in my mind. The other month, it was a Wednesday night approximately 6:00 pm; I was working at my previous job (I quit after this experience) Rite Aid Pharmacy. I was a Pharmaceutical Technician. This tall, beautiful, professional-looking, young woman walked in and asked me for the Plan B pill. At first I was confused because I had never sold such a pill before over-the-counter, she noticed my confusion and said “It’s the 72 hour/morning after pill”. Suddenly it clicked, “oh, hold on, let me ask the pharmacist…” I panicked. I didn’t know what to do; here I am in the position to sell a drug that does something that I am strongly against. Injustice was occurring before my eyes, and I was apart of it. Am I using the excuse that selling the drug was apart of my “duties”, technically it was. I could have refused to sell it, but at that point someone else within the pharmacy would’ve sold it to her. I would’ve passed my burden onto someone else. So there I stood, as she walked out with the pill in her hand, praying that there was not a baby inside of her.
I want to reiterate that all of you may not have the same beliefs as me, and you may feel that the story was stupid because as a woman she has the choice and I shouldn’t care. But, when is the point that I say her decision and the government (for legalizing abortion and the Plan B pill) are wrong? And I am right.

No comments: